29th August 2008 - By Aaron Gadberry
Update: This may no longer work without a tethering plan
After 7 calls and 2.5 hours on hold with Sprint I have finally done it.
It was really not that difficult, I just needed the special number to dial (#777) to make it happen.
For the rest of you here is a step by step guide.
- Turn bluetooth on for the PC and the phone (Menu, Settings, Bluetooth, On)
- Add the computer as a trusted device on the phone (Shouldn’t be necessary but it seems to not work without this configured first)
- On the phone visit Menu, Settings, Bluetooth, Trusted Devices, Add New
- Choose search. Select your PC name from the list and choose “Add to Trusted”
- Enter a NUMERIC pin on the phone. Press Done
- The System Tray on the PC will pop up with a pair request. Click on it and enter the code you just entered on the phone. Press OK.
- Name the device on the phone (or leave it the same) and press OK
- Make the phone visible (Menu, Settings, Bluetooth, Visibility, Visible for 3 min.)
- Open My Bluetooth Places on the PC (Right click on Bluetooth System Tray Icon)
- Choose Bluetooth Setup Wizard link on the left of My Bluetooth Places.
- Choose “I know the service I want to use and I want to find a Bluetooth device that provides that service” and press Next.
- Choose “Dial Up Networking” and press next.
- Choose the icon representing your phone and press next.
- Press “Configure”
- Press “Configure” again
- Put in the phone number #777 and press Ok twice. Press Finish
- Bubble will appear from System Tray asking about pairing. Click on it.
- Enter an security code using NUMBERS and press Ok
- Phone will alert you of an attempted pairing. Choose Yes, enter the security code you just made up and then choose ok.
- Connection will succeed and Dial Up Networking dialog will appear on the computer.
- Username and password should be empty and phone number should be #777. Press Dial
- It should connect. Your phone will ask you if you want to accept the connection. Say yes
- The phone screen will change to read Data Connection.
- Your computer is online!
Other things you can do to improve your experience…
- Turn on auto-accept on the phone for the trusted device
- Stop the PC from asking you the username, password and phone number by…
- Right click on the phone in the My Bluetooth Places screen and choose properties
- Choose Configure, then the options tab
- Uncheck prompt for name and password and prompt for phone number
- Choose OK and then OK again